Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Keep Me in Your Memories...

Memories…

so fragile to the point where they can make you or break you. I’ve heard many things come from different people. A lot of them were happy or random, very few were sad and/or tragic. Perhaps people never wish to discuss such painful thoughts of the past. Then again, who would?

At the very first thought of me collecting memories I was happy to no ends. For one, I had finally found something to collect. Two, this was something I would enjoy collecting. Anyway, the memories were collected from people online, as well as people around me. I had wanted to have most the work hand-written to make it more realistic as I post them on the bulletin board but typed was fine as well. The board itself was 24” X 36” and would have been presented on a wall in a gallery at eye level for the viewer to be able to walk up to it and read all the memories displayed. I would also have a small table with a stack of paper, note cards, or sticky notes where they can also write something they remember and add to the collection. This would be an experience the viewer would have as being apart of an art piece for at least one moment in time. Also, if they did not wish to write something, I would have an old-fashion Polaroid camera that they can take a picture of themselves and post the picture onto the board. Why not a digital camera? To make it more like an old photo album you would find in the back of a closet as you are cleaning it out one day.

I had it where the ones that weren’t handwritten by the person themselves, I had typed up and posted it onto the board. The names at the end of each one were real or made up by how I know the person. Each index card was 3” x 5”. Each colorful post-it sticky was 3 7/8” x 5 7/8”. And the typed paper varied in sized depending on the length of the memory. They were posted on there by push pins and perhaps taped to make it just a bit messy in a sense. I want this to appear like an office board where everyone has posted work wherever there was a space possible. This reminds me of the boards I’ve seen around campus with different advertising on them in different angles, directions, and even stacked one over the other.

No comments: